|“||I mean, I would kill someone. If I had to. If someone's life was in danger or something . . .||”|
Ruby and her brothers were playing hide-and-seek as she hid behind a grate on their fireplace and happened to find a little bag full of rubies that had been tucked up inside the chimney. She didn't know what to do with them so she put them back.
When Ruby was four years old, their house was raided by a villainous gang, the Jackals. While the Jackals were threatening Ruby's father, she ran upstairs to the fireplace and took out the rubies. She ended up swallowing them in one fell swoop to prevent the Jackals from finding them. However, one of the Jackals saw her do it.
He grabbed Ruby and demanded that she cough them up. Ruby refused, so the man stabbed her in the arm, chest and stomach. The Jackal was going to kill her until Ruby started to fight back. She ripped off the Jackal's mask and stabbed him in the eye. The Jackals ran off after that and never came back. Ruby has been bleeding rubies ever since as the places where the Jackal stabbed her never healed, meaning they never stopped bleeding.
Ruby first appears when she fought Nightmare, along with Monarch & Smokescreen at the Renegade Parade. She is later seen with Oscar at the Renegade Headquarters with an unconscious Danna, after she was burned by the Sentinel. Ruby attends the Renegade Trials with Oscar & Adrian. Ruby is part of Adrian's patrol team.
Ruby is a pale and freckled teenage girl. Her hair is dyed with layers of bleached white and pitch-black. She has hazel coloured eyes.
Ruby is a smart girl and a bit headstrong. She is fiercely loyal to her team and would even kill to protect them if needed. Her family is very important to her, although none of them are prodigies. Her stab wounds from when she was young hurt constantly as admitted in Supernova. She is good friends with Danna, and seems to be happy to have another girl on the Renegades team. She loves Oscar, but does not seem willing to admit it, though she was happy to dance with him at the Gala in Archenemies.
Description via Marissa Meyer
"As a child, Ruby endured a terrifying injury, and the wound has still not healed. But it doesn’t hinder her—oh, no. When she bleeds, her blood transforms into super-sharp red gemstones that she uses as weapons. Her favorite weapon is her bloodstone grappling hook and wire. Ruby is practical, strong, and fiercely loyal. She and Oscar have a thing—but neither of them will admit it."
Abilities & Skills
- Hemo-Transformation: When she bleeds, her blood transforms into super-sharp red gemstones that she uses as weapons.
Oscar Silva is her love interest. In the epilogue of Supernova Ruby looks at Oscar like he 'ended world hunger.'
- Bloodstone Grappling Hook: Ruby frequently uses her bloodstone grappling hook, which she keeps as a gem on a wire around her wrist.
- Ruby Dagger: A dagger made of rubies which is extensively lethal to her enemies.
- Ruby's alias - Red Assassin - is an inside joke between her and her brothers.
- In Supernova, her favorite cookies are lemon-coconut-shortbread cookies with white chocolate centers.
- In Supernova, Adrian describes Ruby's side of the room she shares with her brothers with a "Super scouts" poster, a hand painted darts board behind the door, a poster with sarcastic emoticons and having the smell of shampoo with strawberry scent and popcorn.